Saturday, November 3, 2012

Had a Chat

Went to the cemetery to pay my last respects to my friend.  His funeral was on Friday but I couldn't get out of a teaching commitment and so I missed it.

I remembered his wife said she would bury him just below the firing range, so I drove to that part of the cemetery and found his spot.  The flowers were still there, all heaped upon each other and gasping for water.

After I walked around the plot and took it all in, I found a spot near the top of the plot and sat down in the sunshine.  I had a little chat with my friend.  I told him thanks for always being so kind when we'd run into each other around the valley.  I thanked him for being friendly and taking time to stop what he was doing and chat.  For some reason this whole situation has me crying - often.  So, while I chatted I let the tears come.

I looked at the view he has from his spot and I could see the lake and the other side of the valley.  He was an outdoors loving guy and this was perfect.

I thought of all he has accomplished since his humble beginnings in Huntington.  I told him I was impressed with his hard work and success.

Then I told him I was glad his wife had the testimony of forever families to see her through this hard time.  I told him about the many people who were in her corner, trying to be a comfort to her and the two daughters.  I know he knew all this but I told him anyway.

I sat with my friend for the better part of an hour.  When I left, I helped myself to a single dwarf sunflower from one of the arrangements that was lying on the ground.  A single token to remember my friend.

Why has this hit me so hard?  I can't even think about it without getting all choked up and crying.  We weren't close and we only ran into each other on occasion, generally only long enough to say hello and ask how things were going.  So, why does it effect me so??

No comments:

Post a Comment