Thursday, April 19, 2012

Commencement

DID IT!

Lining up in the parking lot at the ASB,  I ran into my friends from the program and we did some catching up.  It was kinda validating that they remembered me and wanted to talk.  We laughed while we waited for the procession to begin.

Walking up the overpass walkway with all the graduates was a good feeling of belonging.  Although my tassel said 2011 on it, I belonged with all of these 2012 graduates.  We all had completed the courses required and were ready to receive our degrees.

All along the walk, professors lined the way, cheering and smiling as we passed.  I recognized one of mine on my side and called out his name.  He waived back and told me it was good to see me.  "Congratulations, you deserve it!" he called back.

Once inside the arena the pomp and circumstances music began and we filed to our seats.  The audience was standing as we did so.  In this pic I am in the section of arena seats to the right of the speaker and up about a dozen rows. It was fun to watch department heads and representatives walk in wearing their different colored robes.  They wore the robes from the schools where they got their respective graduate degrees.  The professor I knew wore the same colors as the guest speaker - from University of Chicago.

My name was in the printed program.  That made me happy.  I was listed under December 2011 graduates.

Speeches were short and sweet.  The audience clapped for us and we for them.  The university president conferred upon us the degrees to which we had aspired.

Then, the procession out of the arena, out the same way we came in.  The crown stood as we left.

Outside, families met and hugged, pictures were snapped, smiles all around.

I got to my car and realized I hadn't had one picture taken of me.  Some passers-by were kind enough to take a snap with my camera for me.

After the commencement I treated myself to dinner out by myself.  I ate slowly and enjoyed the accomplishments of the day.

I am glad I decided to attend.  Even though I was alone I felt like I belonged and it was a nice way to end my school career.

No comments:

Post a Comment