Friday, April 20, 2012

Convocation

We lined up at the north part of the arena where the majors were posted on signs.  We filled out index cards with our names and addresses, distinguishing characteristics, and how to pronounce our names.

More of my friends from the program and department were there and they were glad to see me too.  I was touched that they remembered me and were friendly.  (My old "invisibility" insecurities here...)  Some even called out my name and hugged me and wanted to take pictures with me.  They were so sweet.  I was so happy.  We joked around and talked about old times and future plans.  So many snapshots.  I hope I can get copies to post.

When the time came for the procession, we filed along the walk, around the building, and in to the main floor.  My line walked across in front of the rostrum and into the padded chairs on the arena floor.  My friends kept trying to keep us all together so we would sit together and walk to get our diplomas together.

My name was in the program again.   WOW!!!  A new record!  I'm listed under December 2011 graduates.

One of my friends gave the opening prayer and then the speeches and acknowledgements.

When we filed around to the hallway and lined up to receive our diplomas, I felt like I belonged again.  These people spent much time with me in so many classes, computer labs, presentations, etc.  We stressed, worked, and laughed together semester after semester.

The photographer took my picture, I walked to the stage, handed my name card, confirmed how to pronounce my name, and heard my name called.  I walked into the lights, shook hands with my department chair, and smiled for another photo with him shaking my hand and holding the white envelope that contained the diploma cover.  I told him it was good to see him again and he said, "Congratulations!  Its good to see you again too.  All the best."

When I got to the other side of the stage, my two kids were there waving and smiling.  This time I didn't attend alone.  My kids came!!!!  I stopped and they snapped my picture before I had to keep walking back to my seat.  They couldn't stay for the rest of the event but they made my day by being there for me.

We moved our tassels to the right side of our hats and were cheered from the crowd again.  Once more, we were paraded up through the crowd to the top of the arena and out to the lobby.  Once more, people smiled and congratulated us as we passed by.

I did it.  I attended both ceremonies and I am thankful for the opportunity and privilege to be a graduate of the university that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment