Friday, March 2, 2012

Two-FaceBook

     How is it that so many people will put mean and crude things on their facebook pages and be okay with it?  I suppose it is like when people play games online like Dwight Schrute on The Office played called "second life" and they can pretend to be someone they are not.

     But what gets me is the bad language and the shock value of a lot of what's posted.  Sometimes I ask if the posting party takes the sacrament with that mouth.  Isn't this what we were warned of in so many conference talks - the dangers of anonymity online?  


     It hit home when I saw some particularly snide remarks about the church on a friend's facebook page one evening and then listened to the same friend bear a gentle testimony in sacrament meeting the very next morning at church.  I did a double-take.  But, more honestly, I felt let down.



     Most of what I post is drivel anyway.  I mean, I don't have an interesting enough life to post anything I am up to and frankly, that anyone would care to know about.  So, my posts are generally silly and as such don't garner a lot of attention.  But, at least I'm not pretending to be someone I'm not.  I use clean language and I try not to be cruel.


     It is true that the world is getting harsher, meaner, and more caustic.  Why do so many feel it is necessary to jump on that bandwagon hoping it makes them "somebody".  I agree with the few that think the world needs people who are more gentle and kind.  Its good to lighten up.  Just don't set it all on fire!


     Oh, Facebook, if only people would be their true faces online and not hide behind the vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment