Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Classickness

I think I have a sickness for classics on film.
When Masterpiece Theater comes on I scramble
to get a blank tape into the VCR (yes, I am still
using primitive technology) in time to record.


I was particularly surprised by a story that I had
never heard of before. Little Dorrit was shown in a
series of about 5 parts and it was outstanding. Riches
to rags and back again. Villians, cruel rich people,
humble poor folk, benevolence....


This version of Oliver Twist was interesting
because they portray Fagen as a jew who
attempts to keep the judaic law while
remaining a thief. He really loves the boys
in his care. Bill Sykes is scarey because
he's so psycho. Nancy haunts him and
gets the last laugh.


David Copperfield with young
Harry Potter in it?
And notice Professor McGonigal too.


This version of Pride and Prejudice was sweet
and above all, I loved the musical score. This
portrayal of Elizabeth is more likeable and this
Darcy is more approachable and sincere.


This version is long but oh so worth it!
What a great way to spend a Saturday
afternoon. Five VHS tapes or two DVDs.
I recommend it with two thumbs up!


The reason I enjoyed this version of
Sense and Sensibility was because of
Alan Rickman (Professor Snape).
He is one of my favorite actors.
And, I always enjoy Emma Thompson (Professor
Trelawney) no matter what she's in.


Yeah, this version of is more serious and to be
honest, the male actors aren't all that
attractive. But nevertheless, this is absolutely
worthy to be on my fav list.

The surprise of all was this new story
called Cranford. I had never heard of it before.
It is a story of people in a community
caring for one another.
The book was such a treat.
It included sketches that added
character to the story.
So, I am a classics geek.
Whenever I play one of these types
of movies, my son rolls his eyes (back into
his head further than the usual teen eye-roll)
and as he leaves the room in disgust, he
makes a sound like pppsssshhhhhhhh!
Why didn't I think of this sooner?

No comments:

Post a Comment