Monday, July 13, 2009

Mountainous


This is a great view of Timpanogos with LaVell Edwards stadium on the right.

Every time I leave the area I really miss Timp. I guess it will always have a hold on me. I watch the peak get powdered with snow and then I watch to see if the snow has melted yet giving way to green grass. Sunrise comes up from behind it and sunset lights up the face in the evenings.



Another mountain that has made a particular impression on me is the Wendelstein mountain near Bad Aibling, Germany. The image of a woman lying on her back, knees bent, looking up to the sky... The kids in our family watched for her whenever we took a trip, always wanting to be the first one to spot her on our way home.



When I lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota, I would snicker when tourists would visit and remark on how beautiful the "mountains" were there. Even at Mt. Rushmore they "ohhhh-ed" and "aawww-ed" over them. Hills, people. They are only HILLS.


Alps were cool. Zugspitze was awesome.
The tram ride spooked me but was worth it.



Garmisch-Partenkirchen. . .



. . . and Bertschesgaden were amazing!

My point (besides being on the top of my head) is that mountains make impressions on me like nothing else. Some of my dearest memories center around mountains in my life.

Just sayin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment